Monday, February 05, 2007

A Sporting Chance


Well, it was almost inevitable, but finally I (Gareth) have succumbed to the call of India's unofficial national game...cricket! Yes, on Saturday morning I donned the whites and headed off on the back of a teammates motorbike (which was great fun in itself) to bat, bowl, field, and sunbathe.

...and it was a huge success. We were playing a team made up of colleagues from another company and we beat them handsomely by 6 wickets (they were 138 all out and we were 139-4). It was a really great way to spend a Saturday morning, and although I didn't get a chance to bat (because our top order batsmen were too good and finished it off early), I really enjoyed the match. It is actually a great way to get to know people and as the team was made of my colleagues from work, it meant getting to know them a lot better.



It sounds like we may be playing the same team again in a month's time, so I am looking forward to that.

On Sunday, I had my second opportunity to have a round of golf at one of the local courses - and although the fairways are not perfect flowing lawns (due to the intense heat), it actually is a pretty good course. I also won the golf, so am feeling pretty good about myself at the moment, although I know I need to keep my feet on the ground and understand there is still a long way before I can compete with Tiger.

(the only problem with the course is that they charge Rs. 1000 (approx £12) for foreigners and Rs. 150 (approx £2) for locals - a bit hard to take, but you do get a knowledgeable caddy who helps with club selection and other tidbits, so I can stomach the higher fee for the moment)

No comments: