Sunday, September 10, 2006

Sri Lanka

I (Andi) spent five days last week in the World Vision Sri Lanka office based in Colombo. The country is seeing renewed fighting in Sri Lanka's 20-year civil war, which began in late July with air strikes on rebel territory amid a dispute over a blocked water supply.

A 2002 ceasefire between the government and rebels still technically holds, although both sides accuse the other of trying to force a full-scale return to war.

The fighting has effectively cut access by road to and from the Jaffna peninsula, leaving thousands of people trapped and running short of vital supplies.

Tens of thousands of people have been displaced and the capital Colombo has witnessed two bombings in the past month. Many families/ mothers also fear for their children, as some have been captured by the LTTE to be used as soldiers, and with a number of aid workers murdered a few weeks ago, this is yet another tragic situation faced by a beautiful country and its people.

Staying in a hotel in Colombo and predominantly working in the office for the week, James my new boss and I were there as the Asia Pacific Regional Office, which due to the heightened humanitarian crisis meant we are there to support and advise the comms team. Helping them put together a communications advocacy relief strategy, establish clear messages and respond to the media etc.

It was a good though intense week, personally I learned a lot, met some great people and developed relationships, which is important as I will work with them at times in the future. Plus also had time to get to know James and discuss my future role.

It was also a nostalgic trip for me, as I spent a couple of weeks travelling round the country with a friend six years ago and I have some great memories. So on my last day as I had a little time before my flight, I revisited the Galle Face Hotel just down the road from where I was staying. Situated on the ocean this beautiful colonial building brought back the memory of two backpackers treating themselves to a slap up meal and swim in the seawater pool, which overlooks the beach. Sadly didn't get a chance to do that this time.



Coming back to Gareth was really lovely after a week apart and we spent the next day just catching up and relaxing, especially as I had brought back a special present with me – a cold! After church we met up with our Aussie friends for a late lunch at local cafe Mocha, going on later for a cuppa and visit to their new home in Banjara Hills for the first time. A relaxed end to a busy week.

No comments: