Tuesday, April 10, 2007

"I think we should get a plumber"

Two events this week, the first is we've joined a gym. Whether that will last we'll see!

The other is we had a mini flood in the apartment. Possibly due to the excessive heat our emergency water tank in the roof burst a leak and started gushing out - at first into the main shower (throne) room. This was not too much of a problem, as it could be contained and head down the drain. However the tank borders onto the kitchen and water started running down one of the walls and pouring out onto the floor.

As Gareth was out at the time I (Andi) called the landlord having first tried to climb up and turn the main water mains off myself (my dad would be proud).. However this was not the problem. There was an actual leak in the tank and the water just kept a comin'..

So calling Mr Yadav our landlord, a lovely man but who has a tendency to be a little slow to react, I asked him if he could call a plumber asap. He wanted more details than,"water is coming down the walls and flooding the floors" and asked me to check with our watchman if there was any solution I may not have spotted....

So I did this and Srinivas made his way slowly up the three floors to check if he could do anything, which he couldn't. Standing there, slowly shaking his head he said, 'I think you should get a plumber.'

I then called the landlord again, he asked to speak to Srinivas in Telugu to check on the situation. Fine, then after this he comes back on the line to me and says, 'I think we should get a plumber'.

By this time the water was lapping my feet and no amount of mopping it onto the balcony or frequent emptying of buckets was making a difference... Are you getting bored with this story yet??

All this culminated in my being told at 12pm that a plumber would be there by 1.30. So by 2.30 I called to check on the status/eta of the plumber and was told he will definitely be there at 3.30.

5.30pm the plumber arrived, we have never had such a clean floor. The leak was stopped and we managed to get a couple of other things fixed at the same time.

So endeth the story..

I love Indian stretchable time.

1 comment:

Spearsy said...

Hi Guys,

some great blogs, loved the wedding stories. Your allowed 4 wives here so i get invited to a steady streem of weddings ! Im developing a wedding crawl game seeing how many a weekend i can get to.

Sorry to hear about the water problems.....think you need a plummer :-)

Spearsy

P.S Proclaimers top of the charts hey