Monday, August 21, 2006

Andi's Very Sari


Ok, so it’s happened. I’ve done it, I’ve worn my first sari. Choosing the material from a dazzling array of materials, colours, and designs - in a store with hundreds of people pushing around you can be a bit mad. Then you have to take this material to the local dressmaker, one was recommended to me, and explain what style I wanted for the blouse, which is worn under the ‘dress’. I was welcomed by a lovely lady who though she spoke no English and my Telagu/Hindi is minimal we still managed to communicate, I felt very proud of myself for achieving this task! Some of the Indian ladies at STL OM books couldn’t believe I had done it!

Next came the part I wasn’t able to manage myself, putting it on… Thankfully an Indian friend helped me get ready and I couldn’t have done it without her. She tucked, folded, pinned and wrapped - until as you can see from the picture I was saried up! I loved it as the colours are so vibrant and the outfit feels very elegant, plus it hides your stomach after a curry!

This particular sari was more of an evening outfit, as we were attending an event that night with her and a few Aussie friends we’ve also got to know. However I will wear a day sari in a much lighter material and hopefully be able to dress myself at some point (I sound like I’m three-years-old!)

On another note we’re starting to learn a little Hindi, Andi’s been asked to speak at a women’s group and we have also found an apartment, yippee! We move in two weeks time.

More to come on all this…

No comments: